View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrakcow
What is the Internet?

re: Wrath Gate - First ever true in game cinematic (spoilers)

THIS POST CONTAINS A LOT OF WOTLK SPOILERS! The Wrath Gate cutscene kills off two main characters so if you don't want to spoil yourself and wait til you see it in Wrath then don't read this thread.

I'm 90% sure that this is a marketing tool. Blizzard knew that when they put this cutscene in the beta it would immediately be recorded and spread around the internet. This is by far one of the coolest scenes Blizzard has ever produced. This blows away the BT Trailer.

Plot leading up to the Cutscene:

Basically, you get a quest in Dragonblight to goto a town, either horde or alliance, that is next to the Wrath Gate which is the gate to Icecrown Glacier. Your faction is preparing a joint attack on the Wrath Gate when you go there. The faction leader, either Bolvar Fordragon for Alliance or Saurfang the Younger for Horde, gives you a quest to talk to the Dragon Queen, Alexstrasza at Wyrmrest Temple.

Galakrond is basically a super dragon. It's the dragon that the Titan's created the five Aspects from. Galakrond's skeleton is this huge skeleton in Dragonblight, north of Wyrmrest. The Scourge are trying to raise Galakrond as a frostwyrm. You can see the dragon's dilemma. A frostwyrm with more power than the five Aspects combined would kinda suck for the world. So you're given a quest to ride on a red drake and basically bomb the scourge minions that are working on digging up his bones. So you complete that and you are sent back to your faction leader.

However, when you get there, your faction leader is missing, Wrathgate and the towns are in flames, and people are running around screaming or /cower'ing in the corner. Alexstrasza and Korialstrasz are there talking about what happened. When you talk to Alexstrasza you are given the option to ask "What happened here?" you will go into movie mode and you'll see this:

http://files.filefront.com/WOW+Wrathgate+1024avi/;11881764;/fileinfo.html

Or you can download my copy
http://www.sizematterzguild.com/Arrak/beta/movies/

As for what happened... its a HUGE spoiler. But you already read this much into it so scroll down and I'll tell you.

The Undead guy in the video was High Apothecary Putress. You are given a quest to take Saurfang the Younger's armor back to Thrall so that they can do some orc honor tribute thing. However, when you get to Org, its filled with tents and undead refugees from Undercity. You get to Thrall and Sylvanas is there. You are told that Putress and Varimathras had betrayed Sylvanas and now have control of Undercity. So Thrall takes matters into his own hands. You accompany Thrall and Sylvanas on a huge event into Undercity. You have a buff where you can't really take damage and you deal massive amounts of damage. You mow down countless demons and eventually get to the throne room where Varimathras is talking to the "master" (could be Sargeras). Once Varimathras is defeated, all is back to normal.

So how does that work? Three characters are now dead and one moved from UC to Outland. Well, Blizzard did something really neat with WOTLK. The game is very dynamic now. Take the scene at Wrathgate. None of it is instanced. The people who aren't finished with Galakrond will see Saurfang the Younger there and the people who are returning there will see the place in flames. Think of the quest that takes you to Blade's Edge where you have to kill ethereals so you can phase shift to collect boxes. When you phase shift you only see things in that phase and people not in that phase can't see you. It's a similar technology. If the NPC died for you, you won't see them in game anymore.

For those of you who played alliance, you know that King Varian Wrynn (the missing diplomat) was kidnapped by Defias who were working for black dragons. Well, Varian Wrynn is back. That means Bolvar is no longer needed in Stormwind and Lady Katrana is DEAD. So although Ony's Lair is still there, there is no more attunement for it because alliance can no longer do the whole event with the Jailbreak guy. I don't know where Varimathras quests were moved to. Saurfang the Younger was moved from Outland to Nothrend so I assume he was replaced like Rexxar was for the ony quest and Nessingwary was.

Anyway, WOTLK, in terms of getting you involved in the story line, is amazing. The graphics are better (I lag at max graphics settings), there's many MANY times where Arthas will appear to either taunt you or help out an enemy you're fighting against. All of the Arthas moments are fully voice overed. Hell, even some quest in Borean Tundra where you're on a siege weapon, Kel'Thuzad is voice over laughing at you. It's looking to be a really solid game. Of course, that's all good for the people who like the lore. I haven't really done any end game instances yet. =x
Mr.Voice
What is the Internet?

Id be willing to bet that Varimathras's master is Deathwing (remember that the black dragon emissary to the dragonmaw orcs in netherwing ledge makes reference to him as alive.
Arrakcow
What is the Internet?

Mr.Voice wrote:
Id be willing to bet that Varimathras's master is Deathwing (remember that the black dragon emissary to the dragonmaw orcs in netherwing ledge makes reference to him as alive.

No, he's not. I won't spoil this one... or at least the implication of who the Infinite Flight leader is.
Mr.Voice
What is the Internet?

Hm, nothing but blatant supposition for fun and profit then...gotta love story nerding.
Arrakcow
What is the Internet?

I just reread what I wrote there. Dunno why I brought up Infinite Flight. I think someone else was talking about it at the time. Anyway, no idea who Varimathras is working for. I just assumed Kil'jaden or Sargeras. You don't kill Kil'jaden in Sunwell.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Purple Train Forum Index -> Public Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum